Friday, September 10, 2010

Fido Saves the World

I watched a show on PBS the other night called Dogs That Change the World.  It was very interesting.  I have always been a dog lover, but I've never really stopped to thing about what amazing creatures they are.  People have used dogs as service dogs for many years to be the eyes for a blind man or feet for a physically disabled woman.  Did you know that dogs can also help people who are diabetic sense when their blood sugar is low?  Dogs have a very keen sense of smell, because of this some dogs are able to detect the slightest differences in a person's body chemistry.  Scientists are also beginning to study if dogs can actually smell cancer.  Think of the possibilities there could be if dogs could smell when someone has cancer!  Could this lead to earlier detection of certain cancers?  I've always heard of dogs and other animals having a "6th" sense to knowing when something is going to happen, such as an earthquake or other natural disaster.  Can they really sense whether someone has cancer, low blood sugar, or seizures?  I have a Boston Terrier named Bosco.  I don't know if he could "sniff our sickness", but he definitely know when something is not quit right.  he can tell when I'm upset or when one of the boys is sick.  I hope that scientists are able to train dogs to sniff out when someone is sick and it leads to less people dying of cancers and other illnesses.

www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/dogs-that-changed-the-world/medical-dogs/1277/

No comments:

Post a Comment