I'm writing my RBE on pregnant teens and teen moms. I am a high school teacher's assistant so I thought that in the long run doing this RBE would be helpful to me.
Yesterday one of my students told me that she was pregnant. I'm so disappointed. I'm trying very hard not to be cynical or negative about that whole thing, but it is very hard. This particular student is 18, but she is a Special Ed student and has the mental capacity of about a 10 year old. I'm not surprised that she got pregnant, given her home life and the things I've heard her talk about. I'm just so concerned about the welfare of that baby that she's carrying now. She does not have the mental capacity to take care of an infant. She's going to need a lot of help. I have referred her to several places including the site where I did most of my observations for my RBE. Hopefully she will heed my advise and go to one of those agencies to get some help. I think the reason why this upsets me so much is that my best friend has be trying to get pregnant for 3 years with no luck and this student goes out and gets pregnant right away. The future does not look bright for my student or her baby. I'm praying that things will change and hopefully while she's pregnant she learns a thing or to that will help her on her new journey.
It would be difficult to be anything but negative when you know a child will come into this world with little chance of living in a healthy environment. It is disheartening.
ReplyDelete